By Olivia Lehane, M.D., Baylor College of Medicine Resident, PGY-3
What is Every Kid Healthy Week? Every Kid Healthy Week, April 22 – 26, is an event held every year at the end of April to encourage health and wellness in schools. It celebrates all of the great efforts your child’s school makes to improve the lives of their students through healthier lifestyles. Since Every Kid Healthy Week started in 2013, more than 7,000 schools across the country have participated in the event. The goal of these events is to reinforce a healthy lifestyle, such as proper eating habits and the importance of physical activity, through fun and interactive events.
Why is a healthy lifestyle important for my child? About one out of every three children in America is overweight or obese. In order to change this, it is important to teach our children how to live healthy lives. Additionally, healthier lifestyles will lead to better performance in school. What better way to promote healthy habits than with a week of fun activities at school that you and your child can both participate in?
How can I encourage a healthy lifestyle?
- Include a rainbow in your meal with plenty of fruits and vegetables (the more color the better!)
- Limit sugary beverages like sodas, juice, fruit punch
- Place limits on screen entertainment such as TV, video games and tablets
- Avoid skipping meals or restrictive diets
- Involve the entire family in fun physical activities
- Be a good role model for your child with healthy eating and activity habits
For more information, please visit http://www.everykidhealthyweek.org.